Tour Details Book Now
- Type of Tour: Private Driving Tour with a licensed driver-guide (or on option, for an extra cost, with a driver and a separate licensed guide)
- Duration: 4 hours
- Tour Highlights: Baths of Neptune, Roman amphitheatre, Ancient Forum, Roman tavern and restaurant, Ancient Ostia’s “business center”, Famous mosaics, Private villas (House of Diana, Domus of Love and Psiche) and apartments, Thermopolium, Roman laundry house, Temples (Temple of Rome and Augustus, the Ercole’s Temple) and Mithraeum and
- Meeting Point: in the lobby of your hotel or in front of your apartment's building
- Max. Size of your Party: up to 7 people
- Price: 450 EUR + 9 EUR / adult
- Cancellation: full refund if we receive your notice at least 1 week before the tour date, 100% cancellation fee otherwise
During this half day private guided tour of Ancient Ostia, you will have the opportunity to discover the "Better Pompeii" : Ostia Antica. This nickname is due to the astonishing preservation of its buildings. Ostia Antica is indeed one of the best preserved archaeological sites in Italy. Nowhere else in the environs of Rome will the visitor gain so full and immediate an idea of the essence and history of an ancient Roman town as when you walk through the cobbled-stoned streets of the city of Ostia. This was Rome's military outpost and domestic landing for cargo boats. Founded in the 4th century BC, Ostia (the name means the mouth of the Tiber river) grew to become a great port and commercial centre with a population of around 50 000 inhabitants.
The driver-guide will pick you up at your hotel (or apartment) to drive you to Ostia (30 to 45min drive). There, with your licensed guide, you will discover not only its magnificent frescoes and impressive mosaics but also bakeries and taverns, private homes, fountains, wells, statues etc. Your visit here will begin at the Roman Gate of Porta Romana. You will see the Forum which was the center of this thriving city and further on you will find the Baths of Neptune. and the early Christian basilica near the city wall - a church probably initiated by Emperor Constantine.
Our excellent guide does not only show you the art / history footprints, but brings them to life for you, so that you understand why the art you are looking at is a masterpiece or an important piece of history. You will be able to imagine how Ostia flourished until the Barbarians invaded and the port was abandoned and Ancient Ostia began its decline. Being accompanied with an expert of the site, will make your navigation through this large site very easy, you will pass the ruins one after each other without even noticing what you are accomplishing. We will then drive you back to Rome and drop you off at your hotel or apartment.
A trip to Ancient Ostia is something you will remember and marvel at forever.
Our standard pick-up/drop-off for this tour is within Central Rome limits.
It is also possible to pick you up outside Central Rome limits at extra cost, please contact us to receive our quote.